Social Security Agreement Norway Usa

Administrative Agreement and Agreement, both signed in Oslo on 30 November 2001. Entered into force on 1 September 2003. Replaced a previous agreement between the United States and Norway, which entered into force on 1 July 1984. Norsk The provisions of the National Insurance Act or social security agreements concluded by Norway with other countries determine whether you are a member or not. Your membership is not determined by whether you are a Norwegian citizen, whether you are registered in the National Population Register or pay taxes in Norway. The agreements allow SSA to add up U.S. and foreign coverage credits only if the worker has at least six-quarters of U.S. coverage. Similarly, a person may require minimum coverage under the foreign system for having attributed U.S. coverage to meeting foreign benefit eligibility requirements. The system is financed by the social security contributions of the individual and the employer, as well as by subsidies from the State and the municipalities. The own interest rate is higher for the self-employed (11.4%) than for employees (8.2%).

The employer`s contribution (14.1%) must be paid in respect of salaries, etc. The rates are set by Parliament in the annual decrees on contributions to the national insurance scheme. Applications must contain the name and address of the employer in the United States and the other country, the worker`s full name, place and date of birth, citizenship, U.S. and foreign social security numbers, place and date of hiring, and the start and end date of the overseas operation. (If the employee works for a foreign subsidiary of the U.S. company, the application should also indicate whether U.S. social security coverage has been agreed for employees of the related business in accordance with Section 3121(l) of the Internal Income Code.) Self-employed persons should indicate their country of residence and the nature of their self-employment. When applying for certificates under the agreements concluded with France and Japan, the employer (or self-employed person) must also indicate whether the worker and all accompanying family members are covered by health insurance. Data protection law requires us to inform you that we have the right to collect this information in accordance with section 233 of the Social Security Act.

Although it is not mandatory for you to provide information from the Social Security Administration (SSA), a certificate of coverage can only be issued if an application has been received. The information is necessary to enable the SSA to determine whether the work should only be covered by the U.S. social security system, in accordance with an international agreement. Without the certificate, work can be taxed under both the U.S. and foreign social security system. As a rule, you are only socially insured in one country and therefore you do not have to pay social security contributions to both countries.